What is Bone Cancer?
Bone cancer is a generic term of malignant bone tumors. Common bone cancers include osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, fibrosarcoma and so on. It may originate from bone cells, hematopoietic ingredients of bones, cartilage, desmoids or synovial ingredients, is a typical general malignant disease.
Clinically bone cancer is divided to primary bone cancer and secondary bone cancer. Secondary bone cancer is mostly occurring in pelvis, vertebral column and femurs, etc. Primary malignant bone cancer is rare, most bone cancers are affected by lesions form other tissues (Such as breast cancer, thyroid cancer, prostate cancer and so on.), which namely is bone metastatic cancer.
Incidence of Bone Cancer
The incidence of bone cancer takes away 0.2% cancers in all. Globally, about 2890 cases are firmly diagnosed bone cancer each year and around 1410 people die of it. Osteosarcoma is the most common type of bone cancer and takes up 30% bone cancer patients. It gets a higher incidence in teenagers with an age ranges from 10-20, and the ratio between male and female is 2:1.
Causes of Bone Cancer
The causes of bone cancer are still unclear and were thought to be chronic mild hurt or chronic infection in the past. Meanwhile, that may be related to overgrowth of bones, chronic inflammatory irritation, genetic factor, and infection of special virus, problems of blood reflux in bones, exposure to radiation and some other risk factors.
Nursing Care for Bone Cancer
1. Keep balance of nutrition, have various diets.
2. Take more fresh vegetables and fruits.
3. Keep away from smoking, alcohol and irritating foods.
1. Create a harmonious, comfortable and safe environment to offer patient the sense of safety.
2. Introduce bone cancer patient related cancer knowledge at proper time to help the patient fight the cancer confidently.
3. Family members should take care and support the patient, help the patient to eliminate the negative emotions like loneliness and desperation.
What kinds of supports can be obtained?
Practice proves that the clinic team services composed by multiple disciplines like oncosurgery, oncology, pathology, imageology and anesthesia doctors as well as professional nurses, can provide patients with most effective, most suitable and most economic treatment plan, and also can greatly improve the therapeutic effect of treating cancer patients.
“One station” medical system constructed by Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou combining multiple disciplines, can perform comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for patients under the condition of without adding patients’ burden. Therefore, on one hand, it can provide all-round and heartfelt medical services, and on the other hand, it improves medical efficiency and level. There are many channels can be applied to conduct the communication between patients and doctors, like online consultation, email, telephone conversation, and face-to-face consultation. All these consultation services can effectively help patients to fight the cancer. While the medical team faced by the patients includes doctors, nurses, dietitians, interpreters and so on to meet various demands in different level of different countries. Patients would be more confident under the unobstructed communication environment to cooperate the hospital to diagnose and treat the diseases.
Bone cancer is the generic name of malignant bone tumors. Bone cancer includes giant cell tumor of bone, osteogenic sarcoma, chondroma sarcomatosum, multiple myeloma and so on. There are many factors that lead to bone cancer, and the symptoms of bone cancers may differ from each other as per the difference of categories. Here cancer experts of Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou would like to introduce the causes and symptoms of bone cancer.
What Are the Causes of Bone Cancer?
The causes of bone cancer have not been completely defined. In the past, it is believed that chronic slight damage and chronic infection may cause bone cancer. Meanwhile, over growth of bone, chronic inflammation stimulation, genetic factor, special viral infection, blocked blood recirculation inside the bone or radioactive ray irradiation may be related with bone cancer.
What Are the Symptoms of Bone Cancer?
1. Bone surface of bone cancer patients may emerge a solid lump: some may feel pain; while some may not;
2. Bone cancer patients may suffer from pathological fracture or deformation of bone;
3. Bone cancer patients may get fever or suffer from weight loss, exhaustion, decrease of locomotor activity and so on;
4. Bone cancer patients may suffer from continuous or un-explanatory back pain;
5. Bone cancer patients may suffer from one or multiple fracture without obvious reasons;
6. Because tumor oppresses nerves or blood vessels, this may cause insensible feeling of distant end of extremities of bone cancer patients;
7. Bone cancer patients may feel pain or swelling in bone or joint, and at night the pain may get worse and manifests as continuous dull pain or temporary pain when pressed.
Bone cancer experts of Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou remind: hope family members pay more care to bone cancer patients and help them to build the confidence to fight the cancer with good emotion status.
Medically, there are many bone cancer diagnosis methods, which can help the doctor find out the stage of bone cancer and work out the suitable treatment plant for the patient. What are the basis and common methods of bone cancer diagnosis? Here, experts from Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou will tell us.
What Are the Diagnostic Bases of Bone Cancer?
1. Early bone cancer often causes intermittent dull pain, which will soon transform to persistent severe pain with aggravation at night. That is an important basis of bone cancer diagnosis.
2. Another basis of bone cancer diagnosis is systematic toxic reaction, including loss of appetite, weight loss, systematic exhaustion and dyscrasia, etc.
3. Bone cancer mainly happens to teenagers from 15 to 25 years old. It often locates in metaphysis in the long bones of limbs and parts surrounding the knee joints. This is also an important basis of bone cancer diagnosis.
4. Symptoms, such as temperature rising on local skin, venous engorgement, rapid growth of bone tumor and with pain under compression, pathologic fracture and dysfunction of joints, are also bases of bone cancer diagnosis.
What Are the Diagnostic Methods of Bone Cancer?
Bone scan examination: after injected with some contrast medium, bone is filmed by a special photographic device and becomes visible.
1. Imaging examination: such as X-ray, CT scan, MRI, can help the doctor evaluate the parts infiltrated by cancer.
2. Biopsy: to extract a small tissue for bone cancer detection, including:
a. Needle aspiration biopsy: to extract a small cancer tissue for biopsy with a fine needle
b. Surgical biopsy: the doctor cuts an incision on the skin to take out part of the cancer tissues or the entire tumor for bone cancer detection.
Experts from Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou remind that one should go to regular hospital for treatment timely once diagnosed with bone cancer.
Bone cancer is one of the common cancers, for which patients are seeking for the most effective treatment method. How to make your choice of treatment? See what experts from Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou say about the various treatment options:
The Common Treatment Methods for Bone Cancer
1. Surgery: while making your choice, keep it in mind that the priority is to save life. Limbs can only be retained on the condition that the survival rate is not brought down. So far, surgery of bone cancer includes: curettage, resection, segmental resection of bone cancer with distal end re-plantation, amputation and disarticulation.
2. Radiation therapy: the dose of radiation depends on the condition of the bone cancer patient, but most of the bone cancer cells are not sensitive to radiation. Therefore, the effect of radiation is not very good.
3. Chemotherapy: chemotherapy is usage of medicines to inhibit the growth of cancer, which are often accompanied with radiation and surgery. But it is of great toxic side-effect and can damage the normal cells. Therefore, treatment plan must strictly sticks to the condition of bone cancer patients.
Minimally Invasive Treatment for Bone Cancer
1. Chinese medicine: Chinese medicine has great effect on different bone cancer patients with different symptoms, as it was prescript, adjusted and improved according to the climate and symptoms to make sure that it is suitable for each patient and in different seasons. That is the greatest advantage of Chinese medicine.
2. Bio-immunotherapy: bio-immunotherapy can help reconstruct the damaged immune system of bone cancer patients. Meanwhile, its combination with surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy can receive a complementary effect. Bio-immunotherapy, combined with surgery, can prevent recurrence and transfusion of bone cancer, while its combination with radiation therapy and chemotherapy can extend patients' lives and improve their life quality.
Experts from Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou remind that, family members should care more about the patients and give them confidence of fighting against cancer. As for patients, they should be confident and brave, and do not give themselves up.