Laryngeal cancer is a malignant cancer that starts in the epithelial tissue of the laryngeal mucosa. The most common laryngeal cancer is laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
The incidence of laryngeal cancer accounts for 1-5% of all cancers of the whole body, it is the third common cancer in ear nose throat department, preceded only by nasopharyngeal cancer and nasal carcinoma or sinus cancer. It often happens to people from 50 to 70 years old, males especially.
(1) Smoking: burning tobacco can produce carcinogens, while its smoke can stop or slow down the ciliary movement and causes mucous hyperemia and edema, resulting in epithelial proliferation and thickening, as well as squamous metaplasia. Thus, carcinogenic basis is established.
(2) Excessive drinking: long-term stimulation to the mucosa can cause degeneration and leads to cancer.
(3)Stimulation from chronic inflammation: such as chronic laryngitis or respiratory inflammation
(4) Air pollution: long-term intake of harmful gas, such as sulfur dioxide and industrial dust, can easily cause laryngeal cancer.
(5) Viral infection: virus can cause cells degeneration and abnormal division or adhere to the gene to be passed to the next generation causing cancers. Infection of HPV16 and HPV18 also has close relation to the incidence of laryngeal cancer.
(6) Precancerous lesion: any recurrence of laryngeal keratosis and benign laryngeal tumors, like laryngeal papilloma, can transform to cancer.
(7) Radioactive rays: treatments using radioactive rays to treat tumors in the neck can cause cancers.
(8) Sex hormone: relevant experiments have proved that the percentage of masculine cells in the estrogen receptor of laryngeal patients is apparently increased.
1. Directly transfer: advanced laryngeal cancer often infiltrate and transfer to the submucosa.
2. Lymphatic transfusion: laryngeal cancer usually transfers to the superior deep cervical lymphatic nodes in the crotch of common carotid artery, and then goes along the internal jugular vein to invade both the superior and inferior lymph nodes.
3. Transfer through blood vessels: laryngeal cancer can transfer to other body parts, such as lung, liver, kidney, bone and brain through blood circulation
1. Neck examination
3. Imaging examination
(1) X-ray examination
Through years of Chinese medicine exploration and research, Chinese medicine to treat cancer has obtained an effect of nursing, balancing and reinforcing the physical constitution of the patient while treating cancers. Combining together the advantages of Chinese medicine and Western medicine can gain a better effect than either single treatment. Combination of traditional Chinese medicine and Western medicine makes it possible to treat laryngeal cancer through a variety of ways, including Chinese medicine intra-arterial infusion, Chinese medicine aerosol inhalation and Chinese medicine acupoint injection therapy, etc. Combination of traditional Chinese medicine with physical therapy and rehabilitative treatments can obtain better treatment effects. It is a leading comprehensive treatment mode for cancers.
1. Surgery: surgery is the preferred treatment method for laryngeal cancer. It mainly includes total laryngectomy, horizontally partial laryngectomy, vertically partial laryngectomy, and so on. Different kinds of surgeries are to be performed under specialist’s instruction and according to the patient’s specific conditions.
2. Radiation therapy: this method is recommended for stage 1 laryngeal cancer patients, or patients who are in poor physical condition or before receiving surgery. After the radiation treatment, patients can still have their laryngeal functions, pronouncing for example.
4. Minimally invasive treatment: minimally invasive techniques, such as thermotherapy, cryosurgery therapy, interventional therapy, photodynamic therapy, etc. can not only improve the survival rate of the patient, but also save their laryngeal functions. So far, the rates of 5-year survival for laryngeal cancer patients and laryngeal function retention can separately reach about 70%.
Experts from Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou pointed out that, treatment for laryngeal cancer must combine multi-disciplinary and comprehensive treatments together, which include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, Chinese medicine and minimally invasive treatment, etc. according to different stages, types, biological behaviors of the cancers and the general condition of the patient, rather than subjectively focusing on one-sided treatment or single treatment. Only by doing so, can the treatment obtain the best effect.
(1) After the patient restores their consciousness, help them lie in semi-reclining position to benefit breathing and draining.
(2) Put some ice on the neck to promote the reparation of the wound.
(3) Try to keep unobstructed draining and avoid skin flag necrosis. Observe and note down the characteristics and amount of the draining fluid regularly. Inform the doctor once abnormities occur.
Practice proves that the clinic team services composed by multiple disciplines like oncosurgery, oncology, pathology, imageology and anesthesia doctors as well as professional nurses, can provide patients with most effective, most suitable and most economic treatment plan, and also can greatly improve the therapeutic effect of treating cancer patients.
“One station” medical system constructed by Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou combining multiple disciplines, can perform comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for patients under the condition of without adding patients’ burden. Therefore, on one hand, it can provide all-round and heartfelt medical services, and on the other hand, it improves medical efficiency and level. There are many channels can be applied to conduct the communication between patients and doctors, like online consultation, email, telephone conversation, and face-to-face consultation. All these consultation services can effectively help patients to fight the cancer. While the medical team faced by the patients includes doctors, nurses, dietitians, interpreters and so on to meet various demands in different level of different countries. Patients would be more confident under the unobstructed communication environment to cooperate the hospital to diagnose and treat the diseases.
PET/CT: A technology in anatomical form to capture the images of function, metabolism and receptor Scouts of tumor with more than 90% accurate diagnostic rate...more>>
In the term “stem cells”, “stem” means “tree”, “the trunk of a tree” and “origin”. Stem cells just like trees that can sprout branches and leaves, blossom and fr...more>>
Targeted gene therapy: A treatment to remove cancer roots Cancer is molecular network disease...more>>
What is interventional therapy? Interventional therapy is a mini-invasive therapy that under the guidance of medical image equipment. It mainly has two categories: vascular interven...more>>
What is RFA? Under the guidance of image, RFA, a physical method to inactive and kill the tumor, is performed with minimally invasive paracentesis to introduce the heat generator in...more>>
125I seed implants –tumor-oriented therapy Non-invasive, bloodless Painless, low rates of side effects Increase life expentancy and quality of life Three-dimensional radioactive s...more>>
PDT uses interactions of light, photosensitizer and oxygen as basis for cancer treatment. Inject photosensitizer intravenously and it will be absorbed by cancer cells and tissues th...more>>
What is green chemotherapy? Chemotherapy is a milestone in cancer treatment. It applies chemicals to kill tumor cell, suppress growth and proliferation of tumor cells and improve di...more>>
1. What is green chemotherapy? Chemotherapy is a milestone in cancer treatment. It applies chemicals to kill tumor cell, suppress growth and proliferation of tumor cells and improve...more>>
1. What is endogenic magnetic field thermatology system ? In endogenic magnetic field thermatology, electric field interfering is produced at intersection where two currents of diff...more>>
1、What is cryotherapy? Cryotherapy is a medical technique both ancient and modern. As early as thousands of years ago, ice was used to treat infected wounds and various knife inju...more>>
1、What is ITCWM minimally invasive targeted therapy Modern Hospital Guangzhou applies combined therapy of TCM minimally invasive targeted treatment, which is featuring combined st...more>>