Multiple myeloma refers to a malignant tumor in hematological system, originating from plasma cells (a type of white blood cell generated in the bone marrow). Normal plasma cell is responsible for producing antibodies which can fight against infection, while malignant plasma cell---- myeloma cell proliferates in great numbers in the bone marrow, resulting in disorder of patients’ life, caused symptoms such as anemia, bone pain, fracture, decreased immunity, hypercalcemia, proteinuria, renal inadequacy, etc.
Every year, there are about two out of ten thousand people diagnosed with multiple myeloma which is believed to be the second common malignant tumors arising from blood. It is more commonly seen in the elderly and 50-65 years old is the high incidence age, but age of onset trends to be younger in recent years. Men have higher incidence of multiple myeloma than women, and the ratio is 1.6:1. With age increasing, the incidence of multiple myeloma can also rise, which has brought more and more harm to people’s lives and their quality of life, thus multiple myeloma has become a malignant hematological tumor that old people cannot neglect. Besides, the occurrence of multiple myeloma has certain relation to race, which indicates that the incidence for black people is slightly higher.
It is still not clear what cause multiple myeloma, but it may be related to ionizing radiation, chronic antigenic stimulation, herpes virus infections associated with EB virus or Kaposi's sarcoma. In addition, it may also be associated with a number of cell factors, for example IL-6 which is the growth factor of multiple myeloma.
Misdiagnosis rate of multiple myeloma reaches up to 40% to 50%, so the following are symptoms caused misdiagnosis:
1. Infection: patients are prone to develop respiratory tract infection or urinary tract infections. In advanced stage, infection is one of the main causes of death.
2. Anemia: it can be caused because the normal function of bone marrow in patients with multiple myeloma is restrained.
3. Skeletal symptoms: bone pain, local mass, fracture and even paraplegia, etc can be developed.
4. Hypercalcemia vomiting, weakness, confusion of consciousness, polyuria or constipation, etc can appear.
5. Blood hyperviscosity: dizziness, blurred vision, tinnitus, and sudden occurrence of consciousness disturbance, numbness of the fingers, etc can be caused.
6. Renal inadequacy: patients are often accompanied by renal inadequacy when being diagnosed.
Based on clinical findings, nearly two thirds of patients have been in advanced stage at the first time of diagnosis and many patients had been misdiagnosed before due to going to the inappropriate departments. Experts from Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou remind you that when those symptoms such as bone pain, anemia, renal inadequacy, repeated infections appear, you should go to the department of hematology for check, thus early detection can effectively control the further development of your condition.
Patients who are highly suspected of multiple myeloma should timely carry out examinations such as tests of immunoglobulin and Bene Jones protein (BJP), X-ray and bone marrow examination. Multiple sites of X-ray examination can do a significant help on diagnosis. Destruction area of multiple circular bones in different size (especially the skull, ribs, vertebrae, and pelvis) can be found. When necessary, MRI, CT can be done. MRI examination can help judge whether there is spinal cord compression; CT examination is conducive to display extramedullary lesions. Sometimes, a wide range of osteoporosis can be the only one X-ray finding for myeloma. In addition, confirmation of diagnosing multiple myeloma needs multiple sits of puncture or bone marrow biopsy.
For patients less than 70 years old, if conditions are allowed stem cell transplantation can be undergone.
Combination of Chinese and Western medicine: it is the first choice of multiple myeloma treatment. During chemotherapy, traditional Chinese medicine can be combined, thus can enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy, decrease its toxic side effects, recover hematopoietic function of bone marrow, and improve immune function. During this period, the role of traditional Chinese medicine is to continuously attack myeloma cells, destroy residual myeloma cells so as to avoid their regenerations. However, during chemotherapy, patients with serious gastrointestinal reactions are not applicable to orally take traditional Chinese medicine, so Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou adopts injection.
Chemotherapy: it is a conventional therapy for multiple myeloma.
Radiotherapy: it is less used, while patients with localized myeloma, localized bone pain and symptoms of spinal cord compression are applicable to it.
1. Rest: patients can do appropriate activities, but never do strenuous exercise, preventing falls and bruise.
2. Bed: in order to prevent pathologic fracture, patient should sleep on the hard bed, so elastic bed should be avoided to use.
3. Diet: food should be high in protein, rich in vitamins and digestible. Patients with renal dysfunction should be given low sodium, low protein diet, in order to reduce the burden on the kidneys. If hyperuricemia and hypercalcemia occur, patients should be encouraged to drink more water and daily urinary volume should be maintained above 2000ml, so as to alleviate their clinical symptoms.
4. Mental guide: giving patients more love and care, helping them face up to reality, alleviating their anxieties, encouraging them to face their conditions positively.
Practice proves that the clinic team services composed by multiple disciplines like oncosurgery, oncology, pathology, imageology and anesthesia doctors as well as professional nurses, can provide patients with most effective, most suitable and most economic treatment plan, and also can greatly improve the therapeutic effect of treating cancer patients.
“One station” medical system constructed by Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou combining multiple disciplines, can perform comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for patients under the condition of without adding patients’ burden. Therefore, on one hand, it can provide all-round and heartfelt medical services, and on the other hand, it improves medical efficiency and level. There are many channels can be applied to conduct the communication between patients and doctors, like online consultation, email, telephone conversation, and face-to-face consultation. All these consultation services can effectively help patients to fight the cancer. While the medical team faced by the patients includes doctors, nurses, dietitians, interpreters and so on to meet various demands in different level of different countries. Patients would be more confident under the unobstructed communication environment to cooperate the hospital to diagnose and treat the diseases.
PET/CT: A technology in anatomical form to capture the images of function, metabolism and receptor Scouts of tumor with more than 90% accurate diagnostic rate...more>>
In the term “stem cells”, “stem” means “tree”, “the trunk of a tree” and “origin”. Stem cells just like trees that can sprout branches and leaves, blossom and fr...more>>
Targeted gene therapy: A treatment to remove cancer roots Cancer is molecular network disease...more>>
What is interventional therapy? Interventional therapy is a mini-invasive therapy that under the guidance of medical image equipment. It mainly has two categories: vascular interven...more>>
What is RFA? Under the guidance of image, RFA, a physical method to inactive and kill the tumor, is performed with minimally invasive paracentesis to introduce the heat generator in...more>>
125I seed implants –tumor-oriented therapy Non-invasive, bloodless Painless, low rates of side effects Increase life expentancy and quality of life Three-dimensional radioactive s...more>>
PDT uses interactions of light, photosensitizer and oxygen as basis for cancer treatment. Inject photosensitizer intravenously and it will be absorbed by cancer cells and tissues th...more>>
What is green chemotherapy? Chemotherapy is a milestone in cancer treatment. It applies chemicals to kill tumor cell, suppress growth and proliferation of tumor cells and improve di...more>>
1. What is green chemotherapy? Chemotherapy is a milestone in cancer treatment. It applies chemicals to kill tumor cell, suppress growth and proliferation of tumor cells and improve...more>>
1. What is endogenic magnetic field thermatology system ? In endogenic magnetic field thermatology, electric field interfering is produced at intersection where two currents of diff...more>>
1、What is cryotherapy? Cryotherapy is a medical technique both ancient and modern. As early as thousands of years ago, ice was used to treat infected wounds and various knife inju...more>>
1、What is ITCWM minimally invasive targeted therapy Modern Hospital Guangzhou applies combined therapy of TCM minimally invasive targeted treatment, which is featuring combined st...more>>