Mouth cancer is malignant cancer that starts in the mouth. It may occurs in the lips, gum, tongue, palate, jaw bone, floor of the mouth, oral pharynx, salivary glands, maxillary sinus and mucous membrane of the facial skin.
The incidence of mouth cancer accounts for 1.45% to 5.6% of all the malignant cancers with a higher percentage among males than females.
1. Long-term addition to smoking or drinking: most mouth cancer patients have long history of smoking or drinking. Non-smoking and Non-drinking are seldom found with mouth cancer.
2. Bad oral hygiene: bad oral hygiene provides a nourishing environment for the growth and multiplication of bacteria and mycetes, which are beneficial to the formation of nitrosamine.
3. Long-term stimulation of foreign body: long-term stimulation to the mucous membrane of the oral cavity by root of teeth, sharp teeth cusps or unsuitable false teeth, can cause chronic ulcer and cancerous lesion.
4. Innutrition: lack of elements like vitamin A1, vitamin B2 and trace element zinc, arsenic, can raise the organism’s sensitivity to carcinogen and causes mouth cancer.
6. Ultraviolet rays: for outdoor workers, long-term exposure to direct sunlight can raise the risk of mouth cancer.
7. Ionizing radiation: ionizing radiation can cause changes of DNA and activate the cancer genes, thus, causes cancer.
8. Others: diseases like chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis and virus infection, which can cause decrease of the organism’s immunity, also have relation to the incidence of mouth cancer.
1. Change of color: the abnormality of oral cavity that its color changes into white, brown and black suggests the change of epithelial cell of mucous membrane. Especially when the mucous membrane becomes rough, thick or has nodules, and cavity leukoplakia or erythroplakia occurs, it may suggest cancerous lesion has happened.
2. Unhealed ulcer: course of mouth ulcer usually is less than two weeks. Therefore, if you have symptoms like burning feeling and pain for more than two weeks without getting better, you should look out for them, as they may be signs of mouth cancer.
3. Obvious pain: usually, mouth cancer has no pain but only local abnormal friction feeling in the early stage, while obvious pain occurs after the ulcer cracks. As the cancer further invades the nerves, the patient may feel pain in the ears and throat.
4. Swollen lymph nodes: most mouth cancers can invade the nearby lymph nodes of the neck, causing swelling of lymph nodes.
5. Dysfunction: mouth cancer can invade the masticatory muscles and mandibular joint, causing limitation to the activity of the mouth.
1. Face and neck examination: when examining the neck, try to raise your head backwards as much as you can and check whether there are abnormalities in the inferior maxilla area and neck. Touch both sides of your neck and the inferior maxilla area with your hands to feel the difference between the inferior maxilla area and the two sides of the neck.
2. Lip examination: observe the outer side of both lips, touch them with your hands, lightly pull down the lower lip with your fingers and check its inner side, and then check the inner side of your upper lip.
3. Gum examination: observe your gums and touch them with your fingers to see whether there are abnormalities.
4. Cheek examination: keep you mouth closed, lightly pull both corners of your mouth oppositely towards the direction of your ears, touch both your cheeks and see whether there is abnormality.
5. Check your tongue: stretch out your tongue, hold it with your hand, touch and observe the surface, pull it to the left and then right side to check whether there are abnormalities on lateral borders.
6. Check the roof of the tongue: raise your tongue, touch and observe it to check whether there are abnormities.
7. Check the pharynx and palate: open your mouth and say “ah”, observe the pharynx under light, raise your head backwards, and touch the palate to see whether there is abnormality.
Surgery: surgery is a common treatment method for mouth cancer. Early mouth cancer, if no lymph node swelling of the neck occurs, can be removed by individual surgery.
Radiation therapy: whether it is used individually or combined with surgery, it plays an important role in mouth cancer treatment, after which the functions of chewing, swallowing and pronunciation can be retained and patient’s life quality is improved.
Chinese medicine can not only nurse and balance the patient’s health, strengthen the patient’s physical constitution and resist cancer, but also eliminate the toxic side-effect from chemotherapy and radiotherapy and improve the patient’s immunity. Combination of Chinese medicine and Western medicine can get a better effect than any other individual therapies do. It is a kind of advanced comprehensive treatment mode of cancer.
1. Provide liquid diet to the patient after surgery and change into semi-liquid diet about one week after the operation.
2. Observe the color, temperature and elasticity of the patient’s skin flap, if it is low in temperature, greenish purple and increasingly aggravates, turn to the doctor instantly.
3. Aspirate the patient’s secretions in the mouth, nasal cavity and pharynx to keep the airway unobstructed.
4. If the patient is not able to talk, check whether there are symptoms of airway obstruction, such as fidget and nasal flaring, if any, inform the doctor.
Study proved that a muti-disciplinary medical group, which is composed of surgical oncology, medical oncology, department of traditional Chinese medicine, pathology department, department of radiology, anesthetist and professional nurses, can make a more effective, more suitable and more economical treatment plan so as to improve the effect of cancer treatment.
Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou, with its multi-disciplinary “one-stop” medical system, offers comprehensive diagnosis and treatment service to patients. It not only offers patients with all-round considerate medical service, but also improves the medical efficiency and level without increasing patient’s burden. Communication channels between patients and doctors are various, which include online consultation, email, on-phone communication and face-to-face communication. All these communication channels allow patients to enjoy the service of consultation and help them fight against cancers. Medical groups that services patients include doctors, nurses, dietitians and interpreters, by whom all levels of needs of patients from different countries can be met. Under this smooth communication environment, patients can peacefully cooperate with the treatment.
PET/CT: A technology in anatomical form to capture the images of function, metabolism and receptor Scouts of tumor with more than 90% accurate diagnostic rate...more>>
In the term “stem cells”, “stem” means “tree”, “the trunk of a tree” and “origin”. Stem cells just like trees that can sprout branches and leaves, blossom and fr...more>>
Targeted gene therapy: A treatment to remove cancer roots Cancer is molecular network disease...more>>
What is interventional therapy? Interventional therapy is a mini-invasive therapy that under the guidance of medical image equipment. It mainly has two categories: vascular interven...more>>
What is RFA? Under the guidance of image, RFA, a physical method to inactive and kill the tumor, is performed with minimally invasive paracentesis to introduce the heat generator in...more>>
125I seed implants –tumor-oriented therapy Non-invasive, bloodless Painless, low rates of side effects Increase life expentancy and quality of life Three-dimensional radioactive s...more>>
PDT uses interactions of light, photosensitizer and oxygen as basis for cancer treatment. Inject photosensitizer intravenously and it will be absorbed by cancer cells and tissues th...more>>
What is green chemotherapy? Chemotherapy is a milestone in cancer treatment. It applies chemicals to kill tumor cell, suppress growth and proliferation of tumor cells and improve di...more>>
1. What is green chemotherapy? Chemotherapy is a milestone in cancer treatment. It applies chemicals to kill tumor cell, suppress growth and proliferation of tumor cells and improve...more>>
1. What is endogenic magnetic field thermatology system ? In endogenic magnetic field thermatology, electric field interfering is produced at intersection where two currents of diff...more>>
1、What is cryotherapy? Cryotherapy is a medical technique both ancient and modern. As early as thousands of years ago, ice was used to treat infected wounds and various knife inju...more>>
1、What is ITCWM minimally invasive targeted therapy Modern Hospital Guangzhou applies combined therapy of TCM minimally invasive targeted treatment, which is featuring combined st...more>>