What is Duodenal Cancer?
Duodenal cancer can be a primary cancer in duodenum while it can be metastases of other malignancies developing in stomach, bile duct or pancreas and so on.
Incidence of Duodenal Cancer
As a rarely developed cancer, duodenal cancer takes an incidence of less than 1% in all malignancies. It tends to occur with the age range of 50-70 and the male patients are roughly more than the females.
Causes of Duodenal Cancer
Currently the cause of duodenal cancer is still unclear. But some materials in bile and pancreatic juice like lithocholic acid and other secondary bile acid may be the carcinogenic agent. Familial polyposis, benign epithelial tumor, villous adenoma or other diseases are possibly causing duodenal cancer. Apart from that, there are studies indicating duodenal ulcer or diverticular canceration and heredity have something to do with duodenal cancer.
Types of Duodenal Cancer
1. Duodenal adenocarcinoma is originating from duodenal mucosa and most cases of this type are solitary, but some cases develop from adenoma cancerization.
2. Duodenal carcinoid is a malignancy starts from the enterochromaffin cell of intestine and mostly occurs as small tumor. It can present as a single tumor or multiple tumors in intestinal tract. As the tumor increases, the infiltrating symptoms of a malignancy develop.
3. Duodenal leiomyosarcoma is a tumor of muscular layer arising from muscularis mucosae or muscularis propria of duodenum or the vessel wall in intestinal wall.
4. Malignant lymphoma of duodenum is a malignancy originating from the lymphatic tissues of duodenal wall, which is different from the secondary lesions causing from the encroachment of general malignant lymphoma on intestine.
Daily Nursing Methods of Duodenal Cancer
1. A patient should keep away from smoking, alcohol, strong tea and coffee.
2. Binge overeating is forbidden and have less spicy and coarse food.
3. Lessening the drugs irritating stomach and intestines.
4. A patient should have more fresh vegetables and fruits.
5. Have reasonable and nutritious diets.
6. Pay attention to hygiene of the tableware for patient.
A multidisciplinary team composed of surgeons, pathologists, radiation cancer experts, minimally invasive oncologists, nurses for cancer nursing and interpreters carries out expert consultation according to symptoms and conditions of patients with duodenal cancer and then gives treatment plans that are most applicable to the patient, in order to greatly improve the therapeutic effect of duodenal cancer patient.
Traditional Chinese medicine can regulate the balance of body and strengthen the resistance to fight against tumor. Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou combines Chinese medicine and other cancer treatments together, while at the same time integrates the advantages of both Chinese medicine and western medicine, which can effectively improve the cure effect of cancer treatments.
What kinds of supports can be obtained?
Practice proves that the clinic team services composed by multiple disciplines like oncosurgery, oncology, pathology, imageology and anesthesia doctors as well as professional nurses, can provide patients with most effective, most suitable and most economic treatment plan, and also can greatly improve the therapeutic effect of treating cancer patients.
“One station” medical system constructed by Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou combining multiple disciplines, can perform comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for patients under the condition of without adding patients’ burden. Therefore, on one hand, it can provide all-round and heartfelt medical services, and on the other hand, it improves medical efficiency and level. There are many channels can be applied to conduct the communication between patients and doctors, like online consultation, email, telephone conversation, and face-to-face consultation. All these consultation services can effectively help patients to fight the cancer. While the medical team faced by the patients includes doctors, nurses, dietitians, interpreters and so on to meet various demands in different level of different countries. Patients would be more confident under the unobstructed communication environment to cooperate the hospital to diagnose and treat the diseases.
Duodenal cancer can be primary or secondary to malignant cancers of nearby organs, such as the stomach, bile duct and pancreas. Primary malignant cancer of duodenum is not common but should not be neglected. The most common duodenal cancer is adenocarcinoma, others like leiomyosarcoma, malignant lymphoma, carcinoid are also comparatively common types of duodenal cancer.
Incidence of duodenal cancer
Duodenal cancer is not a common cancer. Its incidence accounts for less than 1% of all the malignant cancers in the whole body. Duodenal cancer has a comparatively high incidence in group between 50 to 70 years old, with a larger proportion among males than females.
What are the causes of duodenal cancer?
So far, causes of duodenal cancer still remain unknown. But substances in secretion of bile and pancreatic juice, for example, secondary bile acids like lithocholic acid, are likely the risk factors. Diseases, such as familial polyposis and benign epithelial tumors like villous adenoma, are likely related with duodenal cancer. Another study showed that duodenal ulcer, canceration of diverticulum and genetic factors also have certain relation with duodenal cancer.
What are the symptoms of duodenal cancer?
1. Pain: abdominal dull pain or discomfort, which is not relieved after eating and sometimes radiates to the back.
2. Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting: these are non-specific gastrointestinal symptoms, which may occur in 30% - 40% of duodenal cancers. Symptoms like frequent vomiting and vomiting out abundant contents, are mainly the result of partial or complete duodenal obstruction caused by the enlarging tumor, which gradually blocks the intestinal cavity.
3. Anemia, bleeding: these are the most common symptoms. The bleedings mainly appear as chronic blood loss, such as fecal occult blood and black stools
4. Jaundice: Jaundice is caused by tumor’s blocking the ampulla. Such jaundice often becomes uneven due to tumor necrosis and shedding. It is usually reduced after fecal occult blood occurs. Moreover, it is often accompanied by abdominal pain
5. Loss of weight: Loss of weight is a common symptom. However, progressive weight loss often indicates bad treatment effect.
6. Abdominal mass: great enlargement of the tumor or invasion to surrounding tissues may cause palpable right upper abdominal mass to some patients.
Experts from Modern cancer Hospital Guangzhou remind that once symptoms of duodenal cancer occur, one should go to regular hospital for examination and treatment timely.